commercial real estate
The lawyers of McMillan's Commercial Real Estate Group assist owners, investors, landlords and tenants reach their business goals for owned and leased real estate assets. With more than 30 practitioners and representation across Canada, we have the depth of resources and talent to assist with any transaction regardless of its size or complexity – including work for offshore clients acquiring real estate for development or investment purposes. Our client and industry knowledge and McMillan's firmwide capabilities ensure that our service is timely, efficient and cost-effective.
Our clients include financial institutions and other capital providers, commercial and retail users, property owners, developers and managers and real property users in a wide range of industries. We assist with all aspects of real estate law and transactions, including:
- Commercial real estate purchases and sales
- Commercial leasing
- Commercial development, including condominiums and subdivisions
- Financing and mortgages
- Title Insurance
- Construction and environmental issues
- Dispute resolution
Whether the need is negotiating a purchase or sale, arranging debt or equity financing, structuring a joint venture or partnership, resolving foreclosures and other disputes, or assisting with development and property management, McMillan lawyers have the resources and experience to offer innovative legal solutions of the highest quality.
McMillan has a notable record of accomplishments in real estate law. Here are just a few representative examples of our lawyers' strengths.
- We publish Real Estate Brief to alert clients to legislative and business developments in the real estate sector.
- Our lawyers are members of numerous industry organizations and speak regularly on real estate topics before clients, industry associations and other groups, such as the International Association of Shopping Centers and the annual RealLeasing program. Three of the lawyers in the Real Estate Group have been named as leading practitioners by the Lexpert Directory of Leading Lawyers in Canada.
- Our Real Estate Group lawyers drafted and edit the Leases Division of O'Brien's Encyclopedia of Forms, one of Canada's leading legal publications.
- We acted for the Canadian Institute of Public and Private Real Estate Companies (CIPPREC) in connection with the development of standard form leases for the real estate industry, and have been involved in many of the larger lease transactions across Canada.
- Our lawyers are leading experts in title insurance, and have contributed as editor and authors to Title Insurance - A Guide to Regulation, Coverage and Claims in Ontario as well as writing the title insurance sections in The Real Estate Law Guide, published by CCH.
- We were the first Ontario law firm able to issue title certificates as the basis on which title insurance policies are written, and are the only Canadian law firm with the extensive experience necessary to negotiate applicable endorsements and title instructions effectively.
- Several of our lawyers hold advanced certificates in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and have experience in all aspects of dispute resolution.
- We are leaders at offering comprehensive mortgage enforcement and default portfolio management services for lending clients, including one of Canada's largest banks.
McMillan and Mary Flynn-Guglietti are ranked in the Top Ten Planning and Development Law Firms in the GTA in December 2012 issue of Novæ Res Urbis.
At the 2003 Real Estate Excellence (REX) Awards, McMillan was a recipient of the 2002 "Office Lease Deal of the Year" award from NAIOP (National Association of Industrial and Office Properties).
Publications / Presentations