Catherine's practice focuses on project finance and on structuring, negotiating and documenting domestic and cross-border financing transactions in the bank, private placement and public markets.
Catherine regularly advises proponents of infrastructure projects, including transportation, social infrastructure and healthcare projects, and has also represented financial institutions in the financing of a variety of infrastructure assets.
She also has extensive experience in operating and term credit facilities, asset-based financings, lease financings and structured financial products.
Catherine practices in McMillan's Toronto office, having begun her career as a vice president with a major U.S. bank and working in both Toronto and Vancouver.
Catherine is ranked in the 2013 edition of Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Projects: PPP & Infrastructure: Canada where she is noted for her "great mix of legal knowledge, market awareness and practical advice. She demonstrates great skill in leading the transaction team from start to close". She has also been recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Project Finance in the IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms.
Catherine has been involved with closing major infrastructure projects in Ontario and elsewhere in Canada, including each of the following:
- Bow Lake Wind Farm Project – an Ontario wind energy project with a nameplate capacity of 60MW using 36 wind turbines. Electricity will be sold to the Ontario Power Authority under 20-year power purchase agreements, which were awarded under the Green Energy Act Feed-In Tariff Program
- Northeast Anthony Henday Drive project – $1.81 billion project for the design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of 27 kilometres of six and eight-lane divided roadway, nine interchanges, two road flyovers, eight rail crossings (flyovers), and two bridges across the North Saskatchewan River, for a total of 46 bridge structures
- Air Rail Link Project – a $128.6 million project undertaken by AirLINX Transit Partners and the Province of Ontario, as represented by Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx, to design, build, and finance the three-kilometre "spur line" for the Air Rail Link and a new passenger station at Toronto Pearson International Airport
- London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph's Health Care, London Milestone 2, Phase 3 – a $162.5 million project to build and finance the final phase of redevelopment
- St. Joseph's Regional Mental Health Care Project – a $830.5 million project to design, build, finance and maintain two new mental health care facilities in London and St. Thomas, Ontario
- Mental Health Centre Penetanguishene – a $474 million project to design, build, finance and maintain a new, state-of-the-art forensic mental health facility in Penetanguishene, Ontario
- McGill University Health Centre Project – Counsel to the bond underwriters in connection with a $764 million long-term senior secured bond issuance to partially finance the MUHC new Glen Campus in downtown Montréal as part of a 34 year public private partnership
- OPPM Project - Representing a syndicate of European banks in connection with the financing of the Ontario Provincial Police Modernization Project, a project to design, build, finance and maintain new OPP facilities in 16 communities across Ontario
- Ontario Highway Service Centres - a project to design, build, finance, maintain and operate 23 existing service centres across the corridors of Highways 400 and 401
- Lakeridge Health - a $91.5 million project involving redevelopment at the Hospital's Oshawa, Ontario site
- Woodstock General Hospital - a $685 million project involving a new hospital in Woodstock, Ontario
- Kelowna and Vernon Hospitals - a $435 million project involving a new parkade and University of British Columbia facility, a new ambulatory and emergency facility in Kelowna and a new diagnostic and treatment building in Vernon
- Northeast Anthony Henday Drive Project - a $1.42 billion project involving the northwest leg of the ring road in Edmonton, Alberta
- London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph's Health Care, London redevelopment projects - valued at $211.8 million and $49.2 million respectively
- Sault Area Hospital - a $408 million project involving a new hospital in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Northeast Stoney Trail Road Project - a $650 million project involving the northeast leg of the ring road in Calgary, Alberta
- The Henderson General Hospital Redevelopment Project - a $259.2 million project involving redevelopment and new construction at a hospital in Hamilton, Ontario
- The Bluewater Health Capital Redevelopment Project - the $214 million expansion and redevelopment of a hospital in Sarnia, Ontario
- The Ajax and Pickering Hospital Phase I Redevelopment Project - a $94 million project involving new construction and renovations for the Rouge Valley Health System in Ontario
- Greater Toronto Area Youth Centre - a $93 million project involving a medium security facility for young offenders in Brampton, Ontario
Catherine also regularly acts on credit facilities (both cross-border and domestic), lease financings and merger and acquisition transactions.
publications and presentations